Workflows module allows to build workflows to sort messages, assign them to the right person, send predefined emails and even create SLA-like workflows. Workflows are similar to Gmail filters or rules in other email clients.
There are two main types of workflows: Automatic and Manual.
Automatic workflows are running in the background and check conversations for matching conditions and carry out specified actions automatically. If automatic workflow does not contain any date-related conditions (Waiting Since, Date Created, Last User Reply, Last Customer Reply), it is executed when a new message is created or some condition’s value changes (for example, conversation status changes).
A Manual workflow doesn’t do anything until you execute it for a conversation. For example when a customer emails in with a specific question, you can execute a workflow to send a reply, add a tag and assign it to someone on your team.
Workflows are composed of conditions and actions.
- Customer Name
- Customer Email
- User Action — replied or added a note
- Conversation Type — email or phone
- Conversation Status — active, pending, closed, spam
- Assigned to User
- To — email To field
- Body — customer message or user note contains specific text
- Attachement — contains or not
- Customer Viewed
- Tag(s) — contains specific tags (requires Tags module)
- Waiting Since — for how many days or hours a customer message is waiting to be replied by a user
- Last User Reply — date of the last user reply
- Last Customer Reply — date of the last customer reply
- Date Created — date when conversation was created
- Custom Fields — check custom fields values (requires Custom Fields module)
Conditions are case-insensitive.
- Send Email Notification — to current assignee, to the last user to reply or to a specific user
- Email the Customer
- Forward — forward conversation with a custom message to a third party
- Add a Note
- Change Conversation Status — active, pending, closed, or spam
- Assign to User
- Move to Mailbox
- Move to Deleted Folder
- Delete Forever
- Add Tag(s) — requires Tags module
- Remove Tag(s) — requires Tags module
- Set Custom Field — requires Custom Fields module
If you have Custom Folders module installed, by adding tags to conversations you can move conversations to custom folders.
Track refund requests
When the subject line or customer message contains “refund”, you want FreeScout to automatically add a tag and send an email to the customer.
Keep track of aging conversations
When a conversation is not replied by a user more than 1 day, add a “overdue” tag and send email notification to the current assignee and specific user. Also using Custom Folders module you by assigning a tag can add conversations to the Overdue folder for example.
Send a follow-up email to the customer after a specific time period
By default Workflow user’s name is “Workflow”. If you want to change it, add the following parameter to the .env file and clear the cache: